Article

Baltic Region 2010: Lithuania Pushes the Baltic Region Forward

0 598 Sales & Trends

The highlight of the market report for the Baltic States are Lithuanian’s exports. Once again they are getting close to the numbers from the years 2007 and 2008, as this country is an important supplier to all three Baltic States, Germany and other European countries. Meanwhile imports are falling and so is domestic consumption.

Estonia

The latest country that joined the Euro region (in 2011) had a 7% increase in imports in 2010 but at the same time value of the imports went down 20% to € 29.5 million, the lowest in a few years. The consumption is still less than half of what it was in 2007 and 2008. Exports, not that high to begin with and are now only about 15% of what they were just 3 years ago. Despite big production in neighbouring Lithunia most of the bikes (65%) originate from Asia with Cambodia and Taiwan being the biggest suppliers. The EU supplies the remaining 35% with Italy as the biggest producer.

Estonia: Bike Import & Export

2007
2008
2009
2010
Export in units
18,420
7,257
5,399
2,786
Export in value
1,655,171
1,108,030
1,017,941
426,806
Average value
89.90
152.70
188.50
152.20
2007
2008
2009
2010
Import in units
61,617
65,190
27,451
29,613
Import in value
5,018,090
5,837,550
3,668,659
2,959,038
Average value
81.40
89.50
133.60
99.92

Source: Eurostat
Amounts in Euro

Latvia

The bike sector in this country is in an even worse situation. With a population of well over one million people import stood at only 24,000 bicycles. This is over 50% lower than those in 2007/2008. Taiwan and China are the biggest suppliers to Latvia but with the strong influence of Lithuanian bicycle industry the EU takes the trophy as biggest supplier. Exports are at a record low, almost not worth mentioning in the whole picture of the Baltic region.

Latvia: Bike Import & Export

2007
2008
2009
2010
Export in units
6,155
3,158
2,191
1,525
Export in value
249,723
150,710
290,728
223,727
Average value
40.60
47.70
132.70
146.70
2007
2008
2009
2010
Import in units
68,168
64,296
30,304
23,755
Import in value
5,385,890
5,239,240
3,068,519
1,924,469
Average value
79.00
81.50
101.30
81.00
Source: Eurostat
Amounts in Euro

Lithuania

Pride of the Lithuanian bicycle industry Baltik Vairas is again working at high capacity – exports from the country have reached over 330,000 bikes and most of this can be credited to the half a century old factory, now working in partnership with Panther International GmbH. After a 33% fall in 2009 numbers are now very close to the record sales of 2007 and 2008. In fact they are already at a record high in terms of value – with an 8% increase in average price for exported bicycles they are worth over € 43 million. By far the most important customer for the company is Germany, accounting for over 85% of the production. Far behind is Denmark with just over 14 thousand units, followed by Latvia and Estonia with 6,451 and 4,727 units. No surprise that on average bikes exported to those two countries are significantly cheaper than those that are built for Western Europe and Scandinavian countries.

The trend for imports is closer to Latvia and Estonia, actually even worse. The number of imported bikes in 2010 was less than 30 thousand – another big drop after already ‘red’ numbers in 2009. The country that stands out with the imports statistics is Indonesia, with 8’,684 units, but in total the country gets most (over 60%) of its bike from the EU. But strong home production is not pushing the market forward. Consumption has gone down to estimated 60-80 thousand units.

Lithuania: Bike Import & Export

2007
2008
2009
2010
Export in units
387,000
388,564
263,677
330,606
Export in value
38,107,952
40,324,347
31,831,246
43,158,180
Average value
98.50
103.80
120.70
130.54
2007
2008
2009
2010
Import in units
66,393
87,056
44,034
29,289
Import in value
3,543,450
4,593,499
3,421,794
2,769,731
Average value
53.40
52.80
77.70
94.56

Source: Eurostat
Amount in Euro

 

by Bike Europe last update:13 Jul 2012

Related tags

Leave a comment

Or register to be able to comment.