News Article

Merida Reports Strong Figures for First Half 2015

Home

TAICHUNG, Taiwan – Merida Industry made a strong start in 2015. Amidst difficult market circumstances in China, the group booked a robust increase in sales between January and July 2015. In the meantime the Taiwanese company also opened its e-bike dedicated plant in Taichung.

Merida Reports Strong Figures for First Half 2015
Merida expects to put 30,000 e-bikes on the streets in Europe in 2015. – Photo Bike Europe

Last April JPMorgan Securities still reported that, “A lack of fundamental improvement in the outlook of its Chinese business remains the biggest structural issue facing Merida Industry Co.” Nevertheless JPMorgan foresaw a 7 percent increase in turnover this year for Merida. In line with that forecast, Merida now reports a 6.4% year-on-year increase in the first half of 2015.

Dedicated e-bike plant

Early May Merida started test runs in its brand new e-bike factory next door to its headquarters in Taiwan. For now the company expects an output of 20,000 units this year. Together with the 10,000 e-bikes made in Germany the company assumes to put 30,000 e-bikes on the streets in Europe in 2015.

Merida specifies both Bosch and Shimano STEPS as drive train systems. The German supplier provides a mid-motor for some 70% of all Merida e-bikes, the remaining 30% comes from Shimano. Merida points out that as soon as Shimano’s supplies allows, they will gradually start using more Shimano systems.

Comment on this article