Zipp to Recall First Generation 88 Front Hub
INDIANAPOLIS, USA – Zipp has identified a technical issue with respect to a production range of Zipp wheels manufactured with the Zipp 88 front hub and issued a complete and voluntary recall.
The recall includes some 12,000 units manufactured in the US by Prodigy Group. The hubs were sold AM as well as OEM and specified by Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Felt and Orbea.
The root of this recall is spoke retention, a concern only with first generation front hubs. Specifically, the first generation 88 hubs could incur retaining ring failure that might result in an ejection of all the wheel’s spokes. This may result in wheel failure.
SRAM notes the best way to identify the recalled version of the First Generation Zipp 88 front hub:
1. This recall is for first generation ZIPP 88 front hubs only. If you are not sure which model you have there are some simple visual checks you can do.
2. Hubs not affected by this recall have larger clinch nuts that prevent spoke ejection.
3. If the front wheel is nearby please check the following:
- Look at the front hub only.
- The retaining ring and clinch nut will look like the item on the left (Image 1). Note the larger coloured ring with the “Z” and the smaller, silver coloured clinch nut.
- Hubs with this ring and clinch nut were produced between Oct 2008 and May 2010.
- If the front wheel has this ring and clinch nut do not ride the bicycle until the wheel has been taken to the dealer for an exchange. If the front wheel does not have this size ring and clinch nut then it is not involved in this recall, and consumers can continue to ride their bicycle.
- If the front hub is involved in this recall, people are urged to stop riding the bicycle immediately until they have received a replacement.
- If consumers are unsure that the front Zipp hub is involved, they are asked to visit their dealer to confirm before riding.
To further identify the first generation Zipp 88 hub is the presence of “Z” logos on the retaining rings. (Refer to images 1 and 2 below). No other versions have logos on the retaining rings. The hub shell is silver, and the retaining rings are grey in the standard option and grey, red, blue, pink, or gold in the ZedTech options. The outside diameter of the two clinch nuts is approximately 1.14 inches. (29mm).
To make this process as convenient as possible for every one and return consumers to riding quickly SRAM encourages consumers after identifying that that hubs are part of the recall to bring them into their local SRAM or Zipp dealer who will immediately initiate the warranty process. Most consumers will have their wheels rebuilt with new parts and incur no cost. If consumers are unable to reach their dealer, or have additional questions or need for assistance, they are encouraged to call SRAM’s Service Centers.