News Article

One Million E-Bikes Sold in Germany in 2018; Up 36 Percent!

Sales & Trends

BAD SODEN, Germany – E-bikes are boosting the German bicycle industry as the sales volume hiked by a staggering 36 percent in 2018 compared to 2017. No less than 980,000 units were sold last year. Today every one out of four bicycles sold in Germany is an electric one.

One Million E-Bikes Sold in Germany in 2018; Up 36 Percent!
E-bikes made in Germany are popular in Europe as their export increased 51 percent. – Photo Bike Europe

The today by the industry association ‘Zweirad-Industrie-Verband’ (ZIV) published 2018 market data underline the e-bike importance. According to the ZIV data e-bikes now hold a market share of 23.5 percent. The industry association expects this market share to increase to 30 percent in the medium term while 35 percent is called ‘realistic’ on a longer term. Approximately 99.5 percent of all e-bikes sold are 25 km/h types, the remaining 0.5 percent are speed pedelecs.

Industry innovations

“2018 was a fantastic year for the German bicycle industry”, said ZIV managing director Siegfried Neuberger. “The innovations in the industry are responsible for the fact that both the bicycle and the e-bike are highly appreciated by consumers. The combination with optimal weather conditions made that the cycling season started early and ended late.”

Export up 51 percent

German e-bikes are popular in Europe, as noted by ZIV. Export volume increased by 51 percent to 440,000 units last year. According to the association there are multiple reasons for the booming e-bikes sales; the innovative character of the product; fully integrated batteries and drives; appealing designs as well as the use of high quality materials.

Also regular bicycle sales up

Germany’s total market value of regular bicycles and e-bikes combined increased by 16.3 percent to 3.16 billion euro last year. Added with P&A sales results in a total turnover of approximately 6 billion euro. Sales of bicycles and e-bikes combined increased 8.6 percent to 4.18 million units. Not only e-bike sales increased in volume, also the sales numbers of regular bicycles was up 2 percent. ZIV notes that the average retail price per unit (bicycle and e-bikes) stood at 756 euro across all sales channels; up 7.1 percent compared to 2017.

Interested to get the latest e-bike and bicycle market news?

Register now for the Bike Europe newsletter.

Comment on this article